Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 124

I wonder how many people think that they've become their own worst enemy? I certainly feel this way from time-to-time. I'm always just a bit out of sync with everyone else. I burned my way through jobs at 17 different ad agencies in three different states before I was finally able to admit that I just wasn't cut out to be a team player. When I finally got the nerve to start my own company instead, I discovered I wasn't cut out to be a team leader either. Needless to say, my company has always been rather small. I'm practical enough to hire someone when I need them, but I'm always happiest working on jobs that I can do entirely myself. When someone comes to me and says "I'm not the least bit interested in this. Do whatever you want, just make me look good and don't do something that will embarrass me," I'm delighted. This is the ideal client. When someone comes to me and says, "I've got a lot of ideas on this myself...and I know it's going to be a lot of fun working together with you," I cringe and start preparing myself for misery.

Life would be a lot easier if I enjoyed the whole process of working together as a team. We live in a collaborative world. Schools teach the importance of teamwork. Businesses hold seminars on team building. I can't leave the house these days without seeing hundreds of people talking continually to each other on cell phones. Many of the people I work with actually believe that it really does "take a village" to accomplish anything. It's frustrating! I need to blend in and pay lip service to all this to a certain degree in order to make a living, but my heart isn't in it. I'm still a terrible team player. If you put me on your team, it won't be five minutes before I tell you that your prize idea is a big pile of crapola.

Maybe this is why the whole idea of passive income derived from website content seems so appealing to me. Go walk the dogs and let the website make the money for you. Sounds like a plan to me. There's only one little fly in the ointment. In order to effectively monetize a website, you need lots and lots of visitors. Millions of visitors actually. How do you get millions of visitors? You offer them something of value. You tell them how they can become rich. How they can lose weight. How they can find happiness. That's the sort of thing that people want. Somehow, I don't think telling the world that Dash didn't vomit today is going to bring me a million visitors.

I came to the Internet very early in the game. I could have easily registered names like hotels.com, cars.com, sex.com, etc. What did I do? I promptly registered my own name and then forgot about domain names for another ten years. Like I said, I'm my own worst enemy.

Dalmatian of the Day

    Watch of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment