Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 461

For once, the first day of Spring actually felt like a Spring day. It was beautiful outside. There was a nice breeze and the temperature was in the low seventies. You really couldn't ask for more. This is definitely the time of year for making improvements to your yard. If you wait till June, it's already gotten so hot that it hardly seems worth the trouble. Right now, a new St. Augustine turf in the back yard seems well worth the effort though, so we'll probably plant grass this weekend.

The nice weather got me wondering whether the electric lawn mower might have repaired itself overnight. Amazingly, when I switched it on, it came right back to life again. There was only one small problem. I couldn't turn the mower off. The on/off switch wouldn't turn it off. Even the emergency disconnect lever didn't turn the mower off. I did the only thing I could think of. I pushed the running mower into the greenhouse where the dogs couldn't get near it, closed the door and waited for the battery to run down. An hour or so later, all was quiet in the greenhouse. I still don't know what went wrong.

I don't know what went wrong at the gas station either. When I went to get gas this afternoon, there were firetrucks everywhere and firemen were using large amounts of what looked like kitty litter to soak up a ton of spilled gasoline. The pumps didn't look damaged, so I don't think a car actually hit them or anything. The only thing that I can think of is that someone stuck the nozzle in their tank, set it on automatic and forgot about it. Maybe the pump failed to cut off when the tank was full. I guess this is why they tell you to shut your car off when pumping gas. There was enough spilled gas to cause a pretty large fire, but luckily no damage was done.

There might me some damage down at the rent property however. Right on cue with the warmer weather, my tenant called and said that she couldn't get the air conditioner to turn on. I scheduled a repair visit for tomorrow and will hope for the best. If worse comes to worse and I have to install a new heat pump on the roof, I'll be losing money on the property for the rest of the year. There's really got to be a better way of making money than being a landlord.

Dalmatian of the Day

Watch of the Day

1 comment:

  1. Glad for no mishaps on the gas or the lawnmower- both potential big baddies. I'm with you on the landlord thing. It's a horrid role that demands things of you at always the wrong times, with very shaky prospects of reward.

    ReplyDelete