Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 1290

I had a couple of gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so I went to one of the few remaining camera stores in Dallas to look for a carbon fiber tripod. I typically buy gear for work online these days, but I never got around to figuring out how to use gift cards for online purchases. It was actually kind of fun to go to a real store where I could see and touch things, but I definitely didn't pick the best day to be driving around town.

The traffic was unbelievably bad today and it only took me about five minutes to figure out why. About every five miles I would see an overheated car blocking traffic and slowing things down. The stranded cars were everywhere. I'm always afraid that my own car will overheat and cause one of these traffic jams myself. When the temperature is over 100 degrees, I instinctively drive with one eye one the road and the other eye on the temperature gauge. I made it to the camera store and back without incident, but it was a stressful drive. I should have just stayed home.

At home there are other things to worry about. Dot and Dash don't do well in the heat, but they still need their exercise. We take our morning walks much earlier now to avoid the heat and our afternoon walks are much shorter. Dot has gotten quite good at telling me when to turn around and head for home, but I still fret about her. The dogs won't drink water out of a water fountain either. You'd think they'd have learned that skill long ago living in Texas, but they always wait until they get home to drink.

Once we're back inside where it's cool, I worry that the air conditioner will break or the power will go out. These things typically happen several times each Summer, usually at the worst possible times. I rarely give global warming a thought during the Winter, but in the middle of a Texas Summer, it would be easy to make a believer out of me.

Work was slow again today. Probably my clients were having their own problems with the heat. I used the lull to get caught up on my to-do list. With the exception of one small writing job which I can probably complete in the morning, tomorrow is basically a free day. I don't know how free things will actually be if I don't even want to venture outside, but at least I'll start things off with a delicious breakfast. Yes, tomorrow is Friday again.

Rascal is today's Dalmatian of the Day
Watch of the Day

1 comment: