Sunday, May 3, 2020

Day 3783

I've decided it's time to face an emerging new reality. My comfortable analog world is gone. When virus fears eventually fade, a lot of things familiar to me aren't coming back. There are a businesses and restaurants I'll never visit again. They aren't going to survive. Rather than lament the loss of familiar places and routines, maybe it's time to embrace the cloud and go digital. Do I really need to go to the post office and bank anymore? Not really. I set up all my recurring bills for online payment today. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. It's easy, relatively painless, and will save me a lot of time.

I don't need to go to CVS, Home Depot, or shopping malls either. Anything you can buy in a store, you can get delivered to your door. Why go to Home Depot to look for lightbulbs, only to discover that they are out of stock again? Things are almost always in stock at the online store and are usually delivered in just a day or two. Stores have been practically begging me to buy online for several years now. I just didn't realize how easy it was.

It's time to take a look at my investments as well. The economy is going to take a terrible hit, but there will be winners. Who is going to thrive in an increasingly digital economy? Some companies already seem well prepared for a world where work takes place in the cloud and almost anything can be delivered to your door. Everyone keeps asking when the world is going to return to normal. I don't think it ever will. We do a lot of things out of habit, and each of us is slowly but surely developing brand new habits. Which of our quarantine routines are going to stick? If you guess correctly, you will do very well in the years ahead.

We walked very early this morning. I thought about getting a picture of Dawn with the dawn of a new day in the background. The sunrise wasn't all that pretty though, so I'll save that picture for another day. It was enjoyable having the park to ourselves. The weather was beautiful and we only saw a few dedicated runners and cyclists. The weekend crowds were still waking up. We didn't see any teenagers or families with children this morning.

I did some more roof repairs this afternoon. I tried to lift the heavy bucket of silicon to the roof, but my rope broke and I had to transfer the messy material to a smaller bucket again. Luckily the rope broke when the heavy bucket was less than a foot off the ground, so nothing spilled. It would have been a giant mess if the bucket of silicon spilled and covered the yard. After today's repairs, I can't find any more bad areas. We'll wait until the next rain, and then the whole process begins all over again. Eventually I'll become confident enough to begin sheetrock repairs inside.

This weekend was pleasant and it certainly went quickly. Lets see what happens next week. I'm hoping for additional news from Sky and Telescope and NASA. It would be nice to have a plan again. Until then, I'll probably move ahead and upgrade the laptop computers with solid state drives. I'll order the parts I need tomorrow. Embracing online banking was a big deal for me. I didn't think I'd ever do this. Maybe there are more things I can improve as well. In troubling times it is important to keep moving.

Milo is today's Dalmatian of the Day
Watch of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment