Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Day 4569

I woke up early this morning, so I got up and ate my breakfast before getting Dawn out of bed. I think I woke up so early because I went to bed early. I've been getting a lot of sleep lately. By the time I finished feeding Dawn, made the bed, and took her down to the meadow behind our house to do her business, it was still really early. It seemed like I should just go back to bed, but I was wide awake. I decided to make the most of the situation and began my long walk before 7 AM this morning.

If I was more of a morning person, I'd do this every day. It was still pleasantly cool outside. I was able to complete my entire six mile route without feeling like I was in a sauna. I even saw a few of my favorite ducks this morning. They were enjoying the cool weather too before going into hiding when the sun became oppressive later in the day. My feet hurt a bit today, but it comes and goes. I certainly have plenty of time to rest when I'm home. The only trouble with being so efficient is what do you do with the rest of the day? I still didn't feel like leaving the house or starting any home improvement projects. I guess that's why Facebook exists. I can still waste a lot of time looking at pictures of dogs and admiring much better astrophotography pictures than I'll ever take. I'm definitely not spending a lot of time listening to the news. There is nothing uplifting about current events.

I had so much time on my hands today that I decided to watch a movie. Amazon Prime is my friend and Science Fiction is always my go-to genre. The film I picked today was the Denis Villeneuve film Arrival. Hey, I liked what he did with Blade Runner 2049. Arrival is an interesting film about how language shapes reality. It definitely wasn't your usual alien invasion movie. The aliens in this movie have the ability to see all of time, all at once. Past, present, and future all all mixed together. The aliens know that in 3,000 years they will need help from humanity, so they come to earth to begin sharing their perceptions through their language. The lead character is a linguist who is tasked with figuring out what the aliens want. Her own perception of reality changes as she begins to learn the alien language. This film questions our instinct to destroy things we don't understand and does a pretty good job of showing how language alters our perception of the world. To me, this is a much better movie than Independence Day where we just blow up the aliens. I guess it isn't surprising that language is interesting to me. I'm a writer. I guess what is surprising is that I hadn't even heard of this movie until I started looking for something to watch this afternoon. I don't keep up with the movies very much.

Dawn seemed a bit more normal today. I still had to bring her breakfast back to the bedroom this morning, but she eagerly went out to the kitchen to eat her dinner. She gets a 10 PM evening snack that she was pretty excited about as well. I took a long nap this afternoon and she didn't leave the room. I think we are making progress. It's too bad she doesn't feel comfortable taking walks with me. I don't want to push my luck though. If Dawn is happy around the house, that's fine with me.

Patch is today's Dalmatian of the Day


Watch of the Day


No comments:

Post a Comment