Thursday, June 30, 2022

Day 4571

It's hard to believe that it's already the last day of June. Where has this year gone? It feels more of a survival year than a year filled with milestones, but maybe surviving in these times actually is a milestone. 

I'm certainly getting plenty of sleep lately, but Dawn had me worried for a little bit last night. I woke up feeling the mattress vibrating and it was caused by Dawn shivering and shaking. She then sat up and it looked like she was going to throw up. I got some towels out of the bathroom because I knew I probably wouldn't be able to get her to move. Then I sat with her for a while and she calmed down and went back to sleep as if nothing had happened. I used to think her shaking was just fear, but now I'm wondering if she might have had a mild seizure. Dawn has had a seizure before when we first got her, but it was much milder than those experienced by some of our other dogs. Maybe I worry too much. Shivering and shaking at times seems to be part of Dawn's personality. She even does this when Janet is home.

We didn't get an early start today, but I still took my long walk in the park. I just don't feel like going to the gym or driving anywhere. Dawn and I have established a pretty good daily routine. I always make sure to take care of all the morning events before I leave on my walk. Dawn seems happy with this arrangement. I don't even try to get her to come out to the kitchen for breakfast anymore. She likes me bringing her breakfast back to her in the bedroom. I guess it's a dogs equivalent of breakfast in bed.

We really need some rain. The park is looking pretty dry right now. Our yard is OK, but that's because I've been more diligent about watering the grass. There isn't a lot to look at in the park now. I'm basically just walking to get my steps. I'm always surprised to see quite a few other people out walking or running on hot days like this. Texans must love punishment. I managed to keep up a pretty good pace today. I still can't figure out why I walk faster outdoors than on the more comfortable indoor track at the gym.

I've been trying to get clarification from NASA about my status for the upcoming Artemis-1 launch. The whole process has been more difficult than I thought it would be. People's job descriptions change frequently at the space center and when I'm finally able to connect with someone, it's usually the wrong person. I usually get the name of another person to contact and the whole process begins again. At least I'm getting answers to my e-mails now. For a while it felt like my mail was just going into a black hole. I think I've still got plenty of time to get credentialed. This launch has been postponed so many times that I wouldn't be surprised if it was postponed again. The current schedule is for a late August or early September launch. We'll have to see.

Dawn doesn't get upset when I take naps in the bedroom now. I can stay for an indefinite length of time and she just continues her own napping. With each passing day, she seems to show a little less fear. That's why I'm thinking that last night's episode might have been a very mild seizure instead of a panic attack. We're still a long way from becoming best buddies, but we're getting along. Dawn is definitely a survivor. She's been through a lot worse than this in her past life. I wish she knew what I knew. Janet is coming back and we are well past the halfway point in the vacation.

I didn't watch a movie this afternoon. I can't say that I did anything productive, but the day went quickly. I may have to go to the grocery store tomorrow. I've still got some of the pot roast left, but the refrigerator is looking pretty empty. I'm kind of hooked on having a salad with dinner now and I need to get some fresh greens. I may need to get some more milk for my cereal as well. Such excitement. Maybe this is why fewer people are reading the blog these days.

I've taken this weeks trash out to the curb and the can seemed almost empty. Not much trash this week. It's kind of amazing how much more activity there is around the house when Janet is home. No wonder Dawn seemed bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment