Sunday, August 7, 2022

Day 4609

I think I like mall walking. The air is clean, filtered, and just the right temperature. No seasonal allergy problems at all. There are also no bugs. The place is well lit, but you don't get sunburned. I don't hear constant police and fire sirens like I do when I'm walking in the park. I actually like that the stores are closed. The latest trends are on display in every window, but there are no irritating salespeople asking if you need help. If you did see something you liked, you could just buy it online. Every store in the mall has a website. 

I used to hate malls because they were so crowded, but there are relitively few walkers before the stores open. The walkers all seem like nice people too. There are no pan handlers or crazy people wandering around trying to harrass you. It's also really easy to find a parking place before the stores open. Granted, this is not real life, but I'll take it. Real life is ugly and messy these days.

Northpark has a great art collection. I try to learn a little about the artists as I'm walking. Most of the art on display is sculpture, but there are a few large scale paintings as well. Each piece has a little plaque with information about the artist. This stuff has always been here but I never paid much attention before. It's interesting. Today the mall had new cars on display. I think they do this every year before the new model year begins. Cars have really gotten expensive. Luxury cars are around $100,000 now and regular cars seem to start around $50,000. The real expensive cars are always displayed near Neiman Marcus and the cheaper cars are down at the other end of the mall around Macys. There are a ton of police patrolling the mall. It feels pretty safe. I wish the park had half as many police. I've seen some pretty strange things in the park.

Since I did my mall walking early, there was still plenty of time for Dawn's Sunday outing. It was a little cooler this morning, so we thought she might like to spend a little more time outside. Nope. It was still too hot for her. She peed quickly and headed straight back to the car. I think she knows that the Sunday outing is all about the ice cream now. For the second week in a row we tried to buy a pint of our favorite flavor to take home with us and the store was out of it. The cones were good though.

I did a bunch of little odds and ends around the house this afternoon, but didn't really accomplish much. I watered plants, swept the porch, recharged device batteries, made another attempt to fix the leaking toilet, and oiled some sticking locks. Dawn doesn't mind when I nap with her now. I don't think we're best buddies yet, but she's not frightened of me anymore. I think that week we spent together while Janet was on vacation turned out to be quality time. This is all good news to me. I like to take naps and it's much easier if your dog approves.

It's back to the gym tomorrow. There's no point in mall walking when the stores are open. I hope I hear something from NASA this week. The launch is getting closer and I still know virtually nothing. All I have is a short cryptic note saying that my request for press credentials has been approved. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't make the trip at all. So far, this event has caused me a lot more stress than joy. I do have an article to write though. The magazine would be very disappointed if I wasn't there at the launch.

There is a 40% chance of rain next Wednesday. Usually the rain seems to miss our house even when there is a 100% chance of rain, but one can still hope. We really need the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment