Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 319

You know that movie Julie and Julia where blogger Julie Powell spends a year writing about cooking a different Julia Child recipe everyday? Do you ever think "hey, why didn't I think of something like that? Jeez, I write something every day. Do you think anybody's going to make a movie starring Meryl Streep out of this tale of a boy and his Dalmatians? Not very likely. Why? Well, for starters, nothing actually happens in this story. I've spent almost an entire year writing about absolutely nothing.

I've had plenty of other opportunities to find that elusive pot of gold at the end of the Internet rainbow. Back in the days when people were still going online with a 300 baud dial-up modem, I was one of the first to get my own domain name. Nobody thought much about domain names then. Iconic names like cars.com, hotels.com and sex.com all just sat unclaimed for much longer than you might think. Most people just didn't see any use for them. What did I do? I immediately registered my own name and then promptly forgot about domain names for another ten years. I could have had any domain name in the world and all I bothered to register was sealander.com. There is definitely a downside to being completely self-absorbed.

I'm starting to worry that I might run out of watches before the end of the year. Now that I've made it this far, I'm determined to feature a different watch every day for the full 365 days. I'm getting down to the bottom of the barrel though. I tried to repair four or five broken watches this afternoon and get them ready for their fifteen minutes of fame. Unfortunately, I failed to bring any of broken watches back to life. I think I must have fixed most of the fixable ones a long time ago. At any rate, the watches I show you in November are going to be pretty crappy, compared to the ones you saw last January. That's just the way I am. I never plan ahead.

I do believe in redemption though. This blog could still turn into something fabulous. You never know. Just look at the Rangers tonight. After the first two games, you might have thought it was all over. Not tonight. They not only won the game, they played like they were used to being winners. I like that.

Dalmatian of the Day

Watch of the Day

1 comment: