Monday, May 5, 2014

Day 1602

When I went to pick up Dash at the cancer center this afternoon, the nurses had made him a special graduation scarf, which they all signed. It was a sweet gesture and at one point I found myself wiping away a tear from my eye. It's been a long journey and successfully completing radiation therapy was definitely a milestone. Before we left, I has a nice talk with the head oncologist, who explained what to expect next. Like all cancer patients, Dash will probably never be declared officially cured. If cancer treatment is successful, you just remain cancer-free for longer and longer. The radiation burn on Dash's neck should begin to show significant improvement within a week, although it might take up to six months before all the hair on his neck grows back. He will continue taking his chemotherapy pills for another three months, and go back to the cancer center every two or three weeks for follow-up blood tests. I think our boy has done very, very well.

Dash wasn't the only one who received a thumbs up from the doctor today. I got a call from the liver center saying that for the second time, a comprehensive blood panel showed no trace of the Hepatitis-C virus. There will be one more follow-up blood test three months from now, and then my doctors are officially done with me.

All in all, it was a very good day. I got my new website prototype finished and uploaded to the server so I can present it to the client tomorrow as promised. I wrote another article and submitted it, as well as completing all of today's normal website updates. I didn't really expect to get this much accomplished today, but I'll take it when I can get it. You never know. Tomorow, I may feel like doing nothing again.

Now that there aren't as many transportation issues, I need to start catching up on some other things. I need to take my car to the dealership for a scheduled service visit. I need to get a haircut. And I need to get an electrician to come over and fix the blinking light in the bathroom. I'm sure there are other overlooked things as well, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Dot has her acupuncture and water therapy tomorrow. Janet wants me to ask if they'll give her a bath too while she's there. Why not? It's already kind of a spa day. Dash can't have a bath yet, which I'm sure is fine with him. His day will come though. The oncologist told me today that after a scab forms over his neck burn and starts to flake away, I should just take him outside every few days and gently spray away the dead skin and debris with a garden hose. Easy for him to say. The cancer center folks have seen a lot of Dash lately, but I don't think they've seen how he reacts to water. We'll wait a while before I try this ill-advised idea.

Sadie is today's Dalmatian of the Day
Watch of the Day

1 comment:

  1. Doctors always have such unrealistic ideas of what sounds so simple, and the reality of accomplishing it. Hooray for Dash and you!

    ReplyDelete