Friday, December 14, 2018

Day 3277

When I woke up to go to the bathroom last night, I almost slipped in a puddle of water. Yup. A new leak had appeared. All the available buckets were already under other leaks, so I mopped up the water and got a large Tupperware container from the kitchen. As I got ready to go back to bed, I noticed that Dash had pooped in his sleep again. I carefully scooped up the poop with a baggie and took it outside. Finally I was ready to go back to sleep, listening to a symphony of dripping water.

A few hours later, Dash woke me up again needing to go outside and pee. He had a little trouble navigating the obstacle course of buckets in the hallway, but he made it outside without falling down. It was still raining and I knew I'd have to go up on the roof again as soon as it got light. We all went back to sleep and just before daybreak I noticed that Dash had pooped in his sleep for a second time.

There was a break in the rain right after sunrise so we walked Dash before I dealt with the water on the roof. I don't think getting started an hour earlier would have made any difference anyway. I really wanted to slow down the dripping water, so I swept all the standing water off the roof before going out for breakfast. It continues to amaze me how quickly the water accumulates. Until the rain stops for good, I'm going to have to keep doing this endlessly.

I tried a new restaurant today and was a bit surprised that they were still serving breakfast when I arrived. It was almost 11 AM. I got something called Chile Relleno Crepes. It was actually pretty good, but the portions were huge. Maybe this was why the place was so crowded. Popular restaurants with good food are almost always crowded. I like unpopular restaurants with good food. I guess it's not surprising that my favorite restaurants almost always go out of business.

I contacted the roofer again today and got him to put me on his emergency list. It's hard to say if this little upgrade will get my roof fixed much quickly, but at least it's a start. This afternoon I went out and bought a second pump, hoping that this might keep the standing water from getting too deep. I actually had to sweep the water away twice today, since the rain didn't stop until mid-afternoon. If I can keep the roof dry, the water stops dripping fairly quickly. Keeping the roof dry while it is raining is impossible though. I just do the best I can.

Hopefully I can stay off the roof tomorrow. Today was pretty strenuous. My wrists hurt. My shoulder hurts. And my knees hurt. I'm getting way too old for this. I'm going to start getting bids for putting on a new roof. Maybe we'll have some nice weather in January. Installing a flat roof is way too expensive. If you're used to shingle roofs, you wouldn't believe how much a good flat roof costs. I don't really have much of a choice. A leaking roof is basically the same as having no roof at all.

Dash did pretty well today. He actually seemed to have more energy than I did. It's amazing how well Dash walks when he can barely stand up at home. He does pretty well if he keeps moving forward. When Dash stumbles on his walks, it's usually when he has stopped to smell something. When I stumble, it's usually because I'm very tired.

All in all, it wasn't a bad day. The leak is temporarily under control. The pump I bought was being discontinued and I saved 30%. Dash's poop was easy to clean up this morning and I found a new breakfast restaurant. Not bad for a rainy day.

Lance is today's Dalmatian of the Day
Watch of the Day

1 comment: