Friday, June 2, 2023

Day 4908

These days just seem to race by even with virtually nothing happening. You'd think that time would slow down, or that I'd get bored on slow uneventful days, but it's not like that at all. I wake up and then all the sudden it's dinner time. I have a routine that seems well suited to wasting time. We always start out by giving Dawn a morning walk. We start at the same time Winter and Summer, but now the sun is already up when we walk. The temperature is usually pleasant early in the morning. This short one mile walk is usually the nicest part of the day.

I make the bed while Janet and Dawn are having their breakfast and then I eat mine. I take my time because why hurry. There is almost never anything important on my schedule. Breakfast is the only time I watch television. I channel surf back and forth between all the cable news channels. I don't have a favorite but usually end up on one of the business channels.

I like being informed but usually get my news by reading Google News on my computer. This also seems to be where the cable news shows get their news. Nobody makes much of an effort anymore. I hate the paywalls that traditional news sources have placed on their websites and refuse to pay for them. Call me old fashioned but I still think the Internet should be free. I've had an Internet presence for over twenty years and have never tried to sell anything. I still think I liked the old days of Usenet news groups best. Who needs pictures and video. I still like to read.

Now that Summer has arrived I'm trying to take my long walk earlier. If I was smart I'd just go to the gym, but that would involve driving. As long as the temperature is bearable, it's much more enjoyable to take a walk in the woods. Walking is relaxing because you don't have to think. Daydreaming on a walk is completely different than fighting traffic on busy Dallas streets. Truthfully, even the park has gotten too busy for me, but it's my backyard so I'll continue to walk there. I really miss the isolation of Mt. Locke out at McDonald Observatory. The place is a science installation, not a recreation destination so there are never a lot of people there. Sadly, I have to drive a full day to get to the place, so those trips will be few and far between in the future. 

Today's walk was just like yesterday's walk, but it was cooler outside since I started earlier. I really hope we're not going to have a hot summer. I don't know if I can handle 100 degree days anymore. Last year I would soak my shirt and hat in water before I started walking. This year I think I'll just go to the gym if it gets much hotter. There isn't much to see in the park in the summer anyway. The animals are hiding from the sun and the migratory birds have already left the area and moved north.

It's time to make a grocery list again. I wonder what will be more expensive this week? Tomorrow afternoon Dawn's training class is having a summer party. Dogs are invited, so hopefully Dawn will enjoy this. If not, we can just walk home since the party is being held in the park. The glasses with the progressive lenses were supposed to be ready tomorrow, but I haven't heard anything from Lenscrafters. We'll see. It's a safe bet that I'll get the glasses before I get my new driver's license.

Abby is today's Dalmatian of the Day


Watch of the Day


No comments:

Post a Comment