Sunday, July 2, 2017

Day 2747

I had to go to Walmart today to pick up something for Janet. It was just as bad as I'd imagined. Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he could see what his stores have become. To save time, I found the location of the item I was looking for on the Internet. I kept asking employees where aisle N30 was and none of them even knew that the huge store had aisle numbers. I then tried describing the item and was sent to opposite ends of the store by two different employees. Some of the employees didn't speak English. They didn't speak Spanish either. Maybe this store wasn't typical. I sure hope it wasn't.

I was pleased that I'd finished a major computer upgrade without any problems and then Dreamweaver crashed this morning. I knew it was all too good to be true. Since I use Dreamweaver all the time, this wasn't good news. The program would launch and then immediately crash as soon as the welcome screen appeared. Everything was fine three days ago, but I have been upgrading a lot of software lately. Somehow Dreamweaver had gotten corrupted. I tried to reinstall the program but it kept asking for a serial number I lost years ago. I tried to get Adobe to send me the serial number, but they just directed me to password protected user website. Did I have the password to login? Of course not.

Eventually I managed to get the website I was working on updated by dragging files from one computer to another. The new photos were on one computer, the HTML files were on another, and my only working FTP program was on a third. Remind me to never upgrade software again. For me it's always like open up a Pandora's Box of problems. It took me hours to retrieve lost passwords and serial numbers, delete the corrupted software and start over again. I finally got a copy of Dreamweaver working, but in the process, I'd lost most of the passwords to the sites I manage. If one program had to crash, this was definitely the worst one.

Dash didn't want to walk this morning and didn't want to eat his breakfast either. It was hard to tell whether he was sick or just being moody. Eventually, he decided he needed to pee. I quickly put a leash on him and out the back gate we went. We took a normal, uneventful walk and when we got home he ate his breakfast. It's all about timing with Dash. If he won't do something, I just try again an hour later. I thought he'd want to walk real early when it was nice and cool outside, but apparently he had other ideas.

When I finished mowing the grass and running errands for Janet, I didn't feel like going to the gym. I felt I'd had enough exercise for one day. After spilling laundry detergent on the utility room floor this morning and dealing with a major software crash, I didn't even feel like mowing the grass. There was little point in postponing the chore. I knew I wouldn't feel like mowing the grass tomorrow either.

Today was tiring. I think software disasters are much harder to deal with than physical chores like mowing the grass. It took all the ingenuity I had left to get today's websites updated without using Dreamweaver. Only time will tell whether I repaired everything correctly. I hope none of today's problems re-appear tomorrow. If I wake up and Dash eats his breakfast, we're off to a good start.

Bud is today's Dalmatian of the Day
 
Watch of the Day
 

No comments:

Post a Comment