Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Day 4185

I was putting on my Apple Watch this morning and it spoke the time to me in a woman's voice. WTF. I've been wearing an Apple Watch for years and I didn't know it could do this. I couldn't get the watch to speak to me again, so I did a quick Google search and discovered that if you put two fingers on the screen at the same time, a voice will tell you the time. Who knew. Actually, this seems like a reasonably useful feature. Much better than that other feature that will automatically dial 911 if the watch thinks you have fallen. I turned that feature off after my watch accidentally dialed 911 in my sleep one night. 

Our machines are becoming too smart and too powerful. At least I don't have an Amazon Alexa that will automatically share your Internet connection with your neighbors if their power goes out. I read today that General Motors is going to temporarily stop putting that device that automatically stops your engine at stop signs and traffic lights in their full size SUVs because of the global chip shortage. Those vehicles are instantly going to become very desirable. I've yet to meet anyone who actually likes their car's engine starting and stopping on its own just to save a little gas.

I got a nice letter from NASA today explaining why I was sometimes excluded from the press pool at Kennedy Space Center. The letter was an answer to a question I'd asked over a month ago. I was a little disappointed that I apparently wasn't very high on the list of people NASA wants to attend their launches. I get bumped when more important people need to attend. On the other hand, I was encouraged that the NASA folks even remembered me. They urged me to keep applying for credentials in the future and acknowledged that if I've been credentialed once, I'll probably be credentialed again.

There was no rain today, but it was so humid that it felt like you could squeeze water out of the air. I almost went to the gym today to escape the heat, but I'm a creature of habit, so I kept walking like I usually do after Dawn finished her short one mile loop. I think the humidity is much worse than the heat. It kind of takes the fun out of walking when your clothes are all damp with sweat. I was tired when I finished my six miles today, but at least my feet didn't hurt.

Janet said that Dawn did better at training class tonight. She was less fearful and was able to complete most of the exercises. This was encouraging. Maybe Dawn will start looking forward to these weekly classes. Dot and Dash grew to love going to class. Training class will help Dawn gain confidence and give her a chance to be around other dogs.

I'm overdue for a follow-up visit with virtually every doctor I've ever seen. There's nothing wrong, but apparently if you see a doctor once, they never forget you. I find this a little irritating, but I'll eventually make an appointment with these guys. I'd hate to wind up with a disease that was caused by avoiding the doctor. These routine visits still seem like a waste of time though. I keep going and nobody's discovered any problems yet.

There's going to be a special photo opportunity out at the observatory this Friday. It's looks like the weather will be clear too. I'd love to go, but I just got back from there. The drive is too long and I haven't even finished paying for my last visit. Maybe I'll return to the Davis Mountains in October. I wish my interests weren't so expensive and far away. I can't think of anything I really want to do here in Dallas.

I can think of a number of things I really don't want to do, but as the skies clear and the ground starts to dry up, I'm going to be forced to mow the grass and finish cutting those dead Photinia trees. Maybe that long drive to the observatory isn't so bad after all.

Liberty is today's Dalmatian of the Day


Watch of the Day


No comments:

Post a Comment