Thursday, August 12, 2021

Day 4249

We got some bad news at the vet today. Dawn has some large bladder stones that will need to be surgically removed. The stones never showed up on x-rays, but the vet did an ultrasound today and they were very obvious. The vet thinks the stones are one reason why her infection had been so hard to get rid of. We still don't know if her last course of antibiotics worked, They will have to do another bacteria culture to determine that. 

I asked the vet if lithotripsy could be used for dogs. I had this non-invasive procedure many years ago to remove my own bladder stones and it worked very well. Bacically the procedure uses shock waves to break up the stones and then the debris is passed through the urine. Evidently lithotripsy does work on dogs, but very few vets have the equipment needed. There is a mobile veterinary lithotripsy truck that travels around the country, but the vet didn't know where it was currently. He said the procedure is quite expensive and that surgery is much more affordable. At any rate, we will probably need to have the surgery done soon so we can clear up her infection before it becomes even worse.

We still don't have any answers about Dawn's obsession with licking her paws. It could be a behavioral problem. It could be allergies. It could be something medical that hasn't even been diagnosed yet. The vet seems to think Dawn needs to wear a cone all the time because it only takes five minutes of licking to undo a week of healing. He showed us a special soft cone that she could wear all the time. I guess we'll order one. She's also trying a new medication that is supposed to be very effective with certain allergies. I gave the vet a list of Dawn's weird behaviors in hopes that this might lead to a quick diagnosis. He wasn't very impressed and still thinks the process of elimination through trial and error will eventually solve the problem.

It was way too hot today for a walk in the park. Even our sunrise walk felt a little warm, although we did have a nice breeze this morning. We always seem to run into the dog that bit me many years ago on our early walks. The dog is well behaved, on a short leash, and listens to his owner better than Dawn listens to us. Nevertheless, it still makes me very nervous to be anywhere near this dog. It probably shows. I always move as far out of the way as I can when we pass on the street.

There is a new mask mandate in Dallas, but nobody seems to be listening. Admittedly, I don't get out that much, but so far I haven't detected any change in people's behavior at all. Few people were wearing masks at the vet and it is largely a symbolic gesture at the gym. Most people seem more angry than worried. Everybody had plans for the Fall and now those plans are in limbo again. It's a shame that everyone wants to blame someone else for their Covid woes. I think that even if the entire country were vaccinated, we would still have problems with the variants. The variants are all coming from other countries and the entire society just can't seem to stop traveling. Just stop traveling for a while. It's a no-brainer.

I keep hearing that "everybody took the polio vaccine so why won't they take the Covid vaccine." Jeez. It took years and years to develop an effective polio vaccine. The first polio vaccines actually gave people polio. The smallpox vaccine never worked on me because I never developed a scar on my arm. Doctors couldn't decide whether I had a natural immunity to the disease or if the vaccine just didn't work so they kept vaccinating me over and over again. Lord knows how many smallpox vaccinations I received as a child. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's hard to defeat a microscopic organism that trying just as hard to survive as we are. You've got to be patient. Masks aren't the problem. Human behavior is the problem.

The trip to the vet was the big event for the day. I wrote a letter to my sister, took it to the post office, and went to the gym. That was about it. I did remember to take the trash out to the curb though. Hopefully, the sanitation people will remember to pick it up tomorrow.

Ellis is today's Dalmatian of the Day



Watch of the Day



No comments:

Post a Comment