Sunday, January 22, 2023

Day 4777

I did a whole lot of walking today. I really wanted to have five 20,000 step days in a row, so I ended up taking four walks. We started off with Dawn's sunrise walk. Then I went mall walking at Northpark. When I returned it was time for Dawn's Sunday outing. Finally, to push me over my 20,000 step goal, I took another walk in the park. Walking was enjoyable. Watching the Dallas Cowboys playoff game later in the day, not so much. It looks like it's going to be a long time before the Cowboys ever get to the Super Bowl again.

It was really chilly this morning. I think Dawn thought we were crazy for taking an early walk when she could have been sleeping an extra hour in our bed. She got her reward when we returned though. She gets to have a little bacon when we have our Sunday morning breakfast. I rarely cook since Janet is a much better cook than I am. I made French Toast this morning though. Every once in a while, French Toast hits the spot.

Northpark seemed kind of empty this morning. Maybe I was a little early, but there were a lot fewer walkers today. All the Christmas decoration were gone and so were most of the sale signs in the store windows. I'm still surprised at how rapidly stores open and close at the mall. Every week there is something new. Two new stores opened for the first time this week, but even more seem to have disappeared. There were a lot of boarded-up storefronts this week. It's probably because the rent is so high. A lot of stores probably can't afford to stay at this location.

It still seem weird to me that I always walk slower when I'm inside. The temperature is always pleasant and the terrain is flat. You'd think I'd walk faster here. Of all the walks I took today, my Northpark indoor walk was the slowest. Maybe I'm slower because I'm looking in the store windows. I'm not conscious of walking slower as I pass the window displays, but maybe looking at things slows me down. Apparently watching ducks and animals when I'm outside doesn't slow me down.

When we took Dawn on her Sunday outing, it was foot pain that slowed me down. Dawn and Janet finished the one mile walk well ahead of me. Dawn is always really excited to go on these Sunday outings.     As soon as the car starts though, her excitement turns to panic. After all this time you'd thing she'd know where we were going. Apparently not. Every day is a new day for Dawn. She really enjoys this new and different walk though. There are all kinds of new things to smell.

Our ice cream was really soft this morning. The quality of the cones seems to change from week to week. Dawn doesn't seems to care whether the cones are firm or soft, but a soft cone makes for a messier experience. When Dawn licks a soft cone there's always more of a mess in the car.

I was hoping that our Sunday outing would get me over 20,000 steps, but unfortunately it didn't. After resting a bit I took one final walk on a path where I used to see owls. I haven't used this route for quite a while and was curious to see if anything had changed. Everything looked more or less the same, but there were no owls and the nest that used to be up in a tall tree was gone. I did see some Great Egrets though and it was a beautiful clear day, so all was not lost.

Not a bad day, all things considered. I even managed to get some laundry done. Tomorrow it's back to my routine weekday schedule. I think we're due for more rain and even colder weather this week. I'm not looking forward to that. I'm tired of this runny nose I've got and am really ready for Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment