Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Day 4562 - Summer Solstice

Today was another day when the temperature determined everything. I just don't handle the heat very well any more. The day started as usual with our sunrise walk with Dawn. The air felt warm and humid as soon as we left the house. These early walks are still the best part of the day though. The higher the sun climbs, the worse it gets.

Today wasn't very productive. After breakfast, I ordered a few odd things online. I'm always surprised that you can find just about anything on the Internet. I got a replacement whistling bird for our Alessi tea kettle. The bird goes in the spout and starts to whistle when the water comes to a boil. The old whistling bird melted for some reason. I also needed a Lightning to 30-pin adapter for my phone. I still have a lot of old stuff that needs to connect. My car happens to be one of those old things that thinks all Apple devices still connect with the 30-pin connection. Apple hasn't sold these things for quite a while. I still found some brand new ones in the box from China. Are the cables counterfeit? Who knows? If so, they sure went to a lot of trouble making the box look absolutely identical to the Apple box.

I didn't even consider walking in the park today. The only thing I did outside was try to kill the mud daubers that are building nests all over the outside of our house. The things are annoying because I can hear them buzzing right outside the window next to my computer. I may be wrong, but I don't think wasps deserve the same respect that bees get. They don't typically pollinate flowers or make honey. They will sting you though. We don't see many bees in our yard, but wasps seem to love the place.

I went to the gym today for obvious reasons. The place was more crowded than usual and the parking garage was full. I had to park the car outside which meant the interior felt like an oven when it was time to return home. My routine at the gym is pretty simple. I'm not even sure if I get any benefit from it. I shoot hoops on the basketball court until I make fifteen baskets. Sometimes I do this quickly and other times it takes forever. I usually walk two miles on the indoor track. I should be faster on the comfortable indoor track than I am walking outdoors, but surprisingly, I'm not. I'm almost always slower walking indoors. When I'm finished walking I'll use the abdominal crunch and rowing machines and usually spend a little time with free weights in the weight room. That's about it. I'll always spend at least an hour at the gym, but rarely if ever two hours. Some of the regulars seem to spend the day there. I'm usually pretty bored after the first hour.

Today is the first day of summer. It's also the longest day of the year. Sadly, it's not the hottest day of the year. The temperatures will continue getting hotter for at least another month. I'm not looking forward to July and August. If the forecasts are accurate, this is going to be a very hot summer. Lets just hope that there aren't any brownouts or power outages. I'm not going to last long without air conditioning. I don't even want to think about what the electric bill is going to look like this summer. It seems to get worse every year.

Maybe something interesting will happen tomorrow, but don't hold your breath. Summer is mostly about just making it through the day. I'm still hoping to get credentialed for the Artemis-1 launch. Who knows when that will be though. The launch hasn't even been scheduled yet. I'll probably do a lot more talking about traveling this summer than actual traveling. Traveling has just become too expensive.

Barley is today's Dalmatian of the Day


Watch of the Day


No comments:

Post a Comment